[CLUE-Tech] PPP serial link performance tuning (MTU)?

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Fri Mar 26 15:35:53 MST 2004

If NAGLE is in use, you might want to turn it off. If you are not familiar
with NAGLE, it essentially chunks a couple smaller pieces of data together
into one larger piece so there's less overhead on the link. NAGLE is
usually pretty good about interactive traffic, but it's something to try.

What kind of bandwidth monitor are you using? The problem with things like
MRTG is they take 5 minute averages, and if you're dealing with a highly
interactive application a 5 minute average is glossing over a lot of
detail. Try to use something more granular like 5 second averages, if
you're not already. You may find that the link is being saturated over
short bursts.