[CLUE-Tech] Mozilla and Amazon.com

Stephen Lehr slehr at hypermall.net
Sun Mar 28 15:29:35 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 22:34, David Anselmi wrote:
> Stephen Lehr wrote:
> [...]
> > I still want to sell books and I'd rather not use MS Windows - any
> > advice about bending Amazon to my will?
>
> Assuming the problem is their code checking your browser and preventing
> something (rather than code that doesn't work in Mozilla, period):
>
> put about:config into your Mozilla location bar.  Scroll down to
> general.useragent.override.  Context menu -> Modify and set it to
> Mozilla/4.0 (MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0) which will mimic IE.
>
> This gets me around sites that do checking for IE features and deny
> others.  But I've had problems on sites that send different javascript
> based on browser.  Then I get the IE version that doesn't work.

Thanks for various responses.  about:config was entertaining but the
override feature seems to be absent in vers. 1.4.  Amazon support
emailed me that they'd just done a variety of changes to the site and
that my particular woe was just one of several affecting sellers.  A
couple days later I could once again access my transactions using
Mozilla 1.4.
Divided we stand,
Together we fall.