[CLUE-Tech] RH9 Boot: Kernel panic

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 09:57:17 MDT 2004

I removed a lot of "fluff" from an otherwise stable RH9 installation.  On rebooting the machine
today (to put it on a new KVM switch), I ran into the following sequence of messages (snipped):

kjournald starting.  Commit interfal 5 seconds
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

... and the machine hangs hard on this last message.  Resetting the box brings the same message
repeatedly.

First of all, please explain this kernel error to me; I have never encountered it before.
Secondly, as I cannot obviously reach a prompt, how am I to "Try passing init= option to kernel"?
It is critical that I restore this machine ASAP as it is my primary mail server.

Thanks all!

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)