[CLUE-Tech] re: Fedora Core 1 on a 4 gig drive

home jmf at jim-liesl.org
Tue May 4 14:56:48 MDT 2004

> From: William <bkimball1 at yahoo.com>
> To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
> Subject: [CLUE-Tech] Fedora Core 1 on a 4Gig HDD?
>
> In booting from CD-ROM and using the GUI Anaconda to attempt a Minimal
installation of Fedora onto
> a small box with a single 4Gig HDD fails during the copy/install phase.
The error it throws seems
> to indicate insufficient drive space.  (Aside:  The Anaconda installer
should check HDD
> requirements *before* attempting to copy files.)
>
> I'd still like to get a fundamental Fedora on this box with it's meager
4Gig HDD.  Can this be
> done?  How?
How did you lay out the drive partitions?  Did you take the default or use
disk druid?  were there any existing non-linux partitions?

As I remember, the minimal install is like 600 meg, and the default
partitioning is /, /usr and a swap.
Assuming:
You didn't add other packages (Gnome/ KDE desktops suck up a lot)
you didn't bypass the auto disk layout, or if you did, you didn't short
either / or /usr

correctly laid out, you should just about be able to install nearly the
entire fedora core on a 4 gig drive.

jim