[CLUE-Tech] Fedora Core 1 on a 4Gig HDD? (Corrected)

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 08:10:32 MDT 2004

I believe our messages are criss-crossing each other.  I will repeat an earlier post, as it is
relevant to your observations:

"I let the installer automatically set the partitions after destroying all existing partitions on
the drive.  I verified the partitions twice, and there is certainly ample space being provided to
the three default needs:  /, /boot [corrected, I mislabed this as /root], and swap."

This brings up an interesting question.  I am trusting the installer to automatically assign
partition sizes on the assumption that it knows what it is doing.  Let's assume it does not and it
fails to verify sufficient drive space for each partition prior to copying files (while not a bug,
I would consider this a serious deficit in logic).  How large should each of the three partitions
listed be for a "stock Custom/Minimal" install?

Thanks, all!

--- Chris Schock <black at clapthreetimes.com> wrote:
> Are you sure the CD is ok? Did you check md5's or use it to install on
> another box?
>
> It would also help if you could explain how you have your partitions laid
> out. Specifically can you tell us how large your root partition is after
> you carve out any swap space or other partitions?
>
> > The specific error is really quite long and listed something like 4
> > possible causes of terminal
> > install failure.  The jist was essentially not enough HDD space or a bad
> > disk or CD-drive.  I
> > ruled out the bad disk with a test on three other machines (that worked
> > fine) and I replaced the
> > CD drive with a trusted DVD drive.  That leaves the HDD space issue.
> >
> > As for package selection, I simply select Custom, then Minimal.  In
> > theory, I expect that to
> > install the Linux kernel and a logging facility.  In practice, Fedora
> > installs a ton of stuff
> > including various programming languages and a bunch of RedHat-centric
> > stuff.

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)