[CLUE-Tech] simulating DNS function

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon May 10 09:29:25 MDT 2004

Gus S.Calabrese wrote:

> I have multiple domains on my webserver and it is working fine.
>
> My question is to whether there is a way to directly access a particular
> domain on my server without using a DNS server.

No.

You can change your /etc/hosts file on your local machine you're using
to hit the server with so it'll report different names to the webserver
when you connect... that's one workaround...

Something like :

192.168.10.1   name1.virtualhost.net
# 192.168.10.1    name2.virtualhost.net
# 192.168.10.1    name3.virtualhost.net

And just uncomment the one you want to test and then type the name into
your browser, and when you need to switch, comment out the other one --
this will work if all you have is name-based virtual hosting on your
Apache machine.

Another common tactic if your webservers have a connection to both an
external and an internal network is to assign both name-based virtuals
and multiple internal IP addresses to the different named virtuals on
the Apache machine so you can "hit" each site from inside only with the
IP addresses from a list you keep.  So from outside everyone's hitting
the same IP but different name, and from the inside of your network
you'd hit each virtual host by a different private-side IP.

There's various workarounds... but nothing 100% clean.  Add SSL to the
mix and it becomes a complete mess without multiple public IP's because
of the reverse DNS matching requirements of SSL-enabled browsers.
(Unless you like your users seeing SSL error messages or they don't care...)

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com