[CLUE-Tech] HP ethernet switch UDP broadcast storm

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Tue May 11 09:52:03 MDT 2004

When you say "mesh" are you referring to redundant links between switches?
If so, I'm assuming you're using spanning tree to remove loops.

Even though it was a layer 3 broadcast it got treated as a layer 2
broadcast because the switches won't have an ARP entry for a broadcast
address. At least, they shouldn't. :) So that would explain why you saw a
SINGLE copy of the particular packet all over, but doesn't explain why you
continued to see it flooded all over.

Was anyone in your closet plugging stuff in at the time this happened? Any
possibility that someone created another loop in the network? Was anyone
plugging in switches anywhere else in the network?

Sounds like there was a loop someplace or a new switch with a higher
priority got plugged in and spanning tree got confused. This gains
credence especially when you say the problem got fixed by disconnecting
"mesh" ports, which will potentially physically remove an existing loop,
and also cause spanning tree to recalculate.

Hope that helps... hard to tell exactly what happened. I've seen spanning
tree fail before, particularly if someone is plugging cables in and out
faster than spanning tree can keep up.

Even if someone plugs in a switch in their office it has the potential to
cause problems if that shiny new switch has a higher priority - it will
trigger the tree to recalculate.

Fortunately this doesn't happen very often.