[CLUE-Tech] hp sound card under mandrake

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon May 24 13:28:13 MDT 2004

James LaRue wrote:
> I have an HP Pavilion A520n, with an nvidia nforce2 sound card. I'm
> trying to run it under Mandrake Community 10 -- and find that I get no
> sound directly from the CD driver. I CAN rip a track, then play it under
> xmms. Googling on it, I found that someone said all you had to do is run
> a cable from thbe cd drive to the sound card -- which seems mighty
> backward. Anybody know a software solution?

CDROM drives are capable of decoding audio CDs into an audio signal
(that's what their audio connector is for).  Sound cards are capable of
using that signal to make noise come out of your speakers.  The whole
process bypasses the CPU/motherboard.  Not backward, kind of nice.  I
could listen to audio CDs long before I set up drivers for my CDROM or
sound card.

Besides connecting the audio cable you might also have to use a mixer to
set up the sound card so the CD audio channel is hearable.  But maybe
not if Mandrake is as easy as everyone says.

To pull the bits off the CD and decode them in software, you can use
xmms.  You might need to install or configure the right plugin and have
access to the right device.