[CLUE-Tech] HP sound card

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed May 26 10:44:31 MDT 2004

James LaRue wrote:

> Apparently, Windows uses some software workaround for the absence of a
> cable from the sound card to the CD. Hence, the HP Pavilion A520n,
> bundled with Windows, doesn't have the cable. An interesting note for
> those buying machines to run Linux.

Windows Media Player (and some other playback software) have the option
to take the audio digitally off of the CD and then play it via
software.  Many programs in the Windows world now default to this
behaviour.  Ultimately this is probably related to future
copy-protection schemes... the older drives won't be aware of the proper
way to play the audio, but the software can be updated...

I think it'll be a while before playing the audio from the digital
format via software is very standard on Linux though... with the crazy
state of Linux sound being what it is... OSS, ALSA,
goodness-knows-what-else, four or five different software muxes (esd,
arts), etc.

A standard would be nice.  But that's the nice thing about standards,
there's always another standard to pick from!  (GRIN)

Nate