[CLUE-Tech] Dual boot setup

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 21:00:00 MDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:35:08 -0600
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> It's been about 7 years since I setup a dual-boot linux / windows
> machine.
>
> Which OS should I install first?  IIRC, it used to be windows because
> of the stupid master boot record or, maybe linux first?

I haven't installed WinXP, but every Win release prior to that overwrote
the MBR.

Nevertheless, as long as you have a recovery CD, or even a Grub boot
floppy, you can do it in any order, then re-setup grub when finished.

Example:

1. Install linux and setup the partitions the way you want them.
2. Create a Grub boot floppy (If you need help, let me know) and test
it.
3. Install Windows (yes the MBR is now toast).
4. Boot from the Grub floppy to linux.
5. Do the Grub setup again.

You can probably use Lilo as well, but I haven't used that in a coon's
age.

Enjoy,

--
 /\/\