[CLUE-Tech] groupadd, usermod, etc. prompting root to enter password

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Nov 1 19:34:48 MST 2004

This is weird ...

I updated some packages on my laptop the other day, and now I get this:

    # groupadd -g 29 audio
    Password:

    [ and if I enter a password, it prompts me for a new password,
      as if I had invoked 'passwd' ]

Say wha?

    $ pacman -Qo /usr/sbin/groupadd     # Which package owns this file?
    /usr/sbin/groupadd is owned by shadow 4.0.5-1

So shadow has been upgraded. And this would appear to be a bug in that
package. If so I'll report it to the appropriate people ... but this
seems like another one of those too-obvious-to-have-gotten-released
things, so I thought I should ask before I report a non-bug.

Anyone ever seen this kind of behavior before? Or have an idea what
might cause it, other than a bug?

Haven Rock Press            Horses bear manure through
Englewood, Colorado, USA        its fields;
books at havenrock.com         When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)