[CLUE-Tech] Preventing KDE from taking over X sessions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Nov 1 20:58:43 MST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:31:48 -0700
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> I will not bash KDE ... I will not bash KDE ... I will not bash KDE ...

I will not zsh Gnome ... I will not zsh Gnome :)

> So what's the secret? What kind of black magic does KDE use to take
> control, and what's the counterspell? I looked at the KDE FAQ and a few
> other docs, and couldn't find any reference to this problem ...  maybe
> the KDE team doesn't think it's a problem ;-) ... but this has happened
> to me at least 2 or 3 times over a span of 5 years, so I don't think
> it's a fluke. Anybody got a CLUE about this?

Are you booting to runlevel 5?

I have all the KDE crap installed, and this doesn't happen to me at all.
But then I boot to runlevel 3, and start X manually. Thus, whatever I have
in .xinitrc is what I get.

If you boot to runlevel 3, login, and then enter 'startx' at the prompt,
what happens? If you still get hijacked by KDE, at least you can trace
throught the startx shell script and see what's being invoked where. You
might find a settings file that you can tweak.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/