[CLUE-Tech] SGI 320 workstations anyone?

Joe Daily jdaily at mines.edu
Mon Nov 1 22:11:14 MST 2004

Those boxes are awesome!!!!!!!. You need to hit up two places on sgi.com, First
the support site. You need a supportfolio id, but it just takes few minutes to
sign up. Second oss.sgi.com and techpubs.sgi.com should have a ton of help. You
will need to grab the linux propack, this boxes do not work right without them
(don't ask me why).

if you need any help let me know

Joe Daily
jdaily at mines.edu

Quoting skipworthy at realivetech.com:

 Hey guys-

 I've been putting this off, because it involves admitting defeat , sort
 of, but ...

  I have two Silicon Graphics Workstations . (SGI 320,) these are dual
 400mhz machines, and I have the matching proprietary video screens ( sans
 the stand, unfortunatly). They are lovely and produce images with
 *insane* resolution. I got them when the pepsi center got rid of them (
 they used to use them as video stations on the club level and stuff)
 pretty reasonable. At the time , my plan was to refurbish them a bit, and
 use them as webservers or pvrs or something.

 HOWEVER...I have discovered that they are actually somewhat beyond my
 skill and ability to commit. THUS...I am seeking advice and assistance int
 he form of

 - Does anyone have knowledge of these, that could help me get a working OS
 back on them?
 - Would anyone be interested in giving one or both of them a good home ? (
 I'd let them go pretty reasonably, just to get rid of them, or donate them
 to an appropriate worthy cause...)

 More background- they came with NT4, are upgradeable to Win2k with a bios
 upgrade, and supposedly you can put Linux on them, as well as SGI's
 version of *nix but I have not been successful with any of this: I got
 them upgraded to Win2k at one time, but in tinkering with them I seem to
 have gotten them to a point, as I said, beyond my skill and committment.
 ALSO...the video out is the proprietary high-res video proprioetary to
 SGI- not too big a proble, since I have the matching monitors. The seem to
 have working VGA ports ( I ve never used them , but I know from other
 folks that got them at the same time they work with a little twiddling)

 anyhow- let me know, off list if you want, if you have any suggestions.

 Glen
 skipworthy at realivetech.com

 Unsubscribe or manage your options: