[CLUE-Tech] groupadd, usermod, etc. prompting root to enter password

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 2 09:49:59 MST 2004

Matt Gushee wrote:
[...]
> Seriously though, do you happen to recall what search string you used to
> find that? I didn't find anything remotely useful.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=groupadd+"asks+for+password"

The first hit is:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2000-August/msg02454.html

which describes the behavior you're seeing and mentions the newgrp command.

> And anyway, what would be the point of entering a password for a group?
> Groups don't have passwords, right?

Apparently they do, and newgrp knows how to use them.  At least on RH 6.2.

[...]
> So evidently something is hosed on one of the machines.

Sounds like different configs to me, maybe PAM or some distro specific
config.