[CLUE-Tech] The NSA's version of Linux...

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Nov 4 09:20:16 MST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 06:50:34AM -0600, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 12:48:41AM -0800, Tony M. wrote the following:
> > Damn, everyones got a distro now.
> >
> > http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.cfm
>
> Technically SELinux is just a kernel patch, you can apply it to any kernel.
> Gentoo has a USE flag that allows you to set up an SELinux enabled Gentoo
> box.

Kevin Fenzi discussed this in his security presentation last month
(unfortunately, nothing posted on the Web at this point). In response to
some people's natural concerns about using code from a spy agency, he
mentioned that a number of uber-kernel-hackers had reviewed the patch
very carefully and given it the thumbs-up.

Actually, I now have a kernel with SELinux enabled. One of the
interesting things about it is that it allows you to grant privileges in
a more selective way than you could before. I'm using it for to provide
low-latency performance for audio applications. The way it works is, you
have a kernel with SELinux enable + "security capabilities" built as a
module. Then you add the third-party realtime-lsm module; you can load
it with a user or group id as a parameter, e.g.:

  modprobe realtime gid=29

Then any member of group #29 has access to the realtime clock. Thus, you
no longer have to have any programs setuid root for RTC access. Pretty
cool, huh?

Haven Rock Press            Horses bear manure through
Englewood, Colorado, USA        its fields;
books at havenrock.com         When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)