[CLUE-Tech] Serial Install to Laptop?

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 7 05:42:46 MST 2004

RAM is a critical factor here.  You're not saying which version of SuSe
here, but i've noticed it tends to need more resources than some other
distros.

Probably you'd need to go with Debian Potato, Gentoo, or Slackware,
which are more configurable.  Actually the only distro i've managed to
get working on such a sparse machine is Corel, but you don't want to
mess with that, since it's impossible to install any packages that
didn't come with it, and not much is included.

With Slackware, i found the process of making an install boot floppy to
be fairly straightforward.

In my experience, many of these older machines come up with unexpected
problems during and after installation.  This is due to a combination of
a lack of resources and varying standards concerning what's included in
machine BIOS.

--
-- Michael Riversong
Teacher, Musician, Bard