[CLUE-Tech] possible breakin attempt

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Nov 8 22:50:11 MST 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 22:41, Mike wrote:

> A follow up on this topic. I changed the port number that sshd
> listens on and the attempted logins on nonexistent accounts went
> down to zero over the last week and a half. At first I didn't like
> the idea because it seemed like security through obscurity, but it
> keeps the knuckleheads from filling up my log files. And, since I'm
> the only one who logs into this box (supposed to anyhow :)) it
> works for my setup.

I've seen this attitude before, and it bugs me.  There is nothing
wrong with obscurity -- it will add to security.  The only problem is
when your only security is obscurity:  because things are often not
as obscure as they seem.

But by all means, to whatever degree you can handle, add a layer of
obscurity on top of your security.  It will add a deterant effect.

A super-strong safe is great.  A super-strong safe that you can't find
easily is even better.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...