[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Nov 9 09:15:11 MST 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 07:25:57 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
> [...]
> > All indications are that when chat is invoked by pppd, it sends
> > things to the modem OK, but doesn't receive anything back.
>
> Could it be that the modem init string is in some config file and is
> allowing the modem to operate silently?  minicom has its own init string
>
> so it might work while chat doesn't.

Except that this whole setup works fine when I'm running RH8 -- as in
right now. I literally copied my chat script, pppd invocation script, and
ppp options file from the RH8 setup to the FC2 setup.

> [...]
> > # Add Zeroconf route.
> > if [ -z "${NOZEROCONF}" -a "${ISALIAS}" = "no" ]; then
> >     ip route replace 169.254.0.0/16 dev ${REALDEVICE}
> > fi
>
> 169.254/16 is similar to RFC 1918 addresses (non-routable) but is used
> to allow machines to guess an IP if they don't get one by a static entry
> or DHCP.
>
> I've never liked the way RH did network config, but it's all in
> /etc/sysconfig if you can trace your way through.  Do you have a gateway
> defined in whichever file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts defines the
> IP address?  I assume eth0 is getting the right IP address.

Well, in ifcfg-eth0, there's no line that says "GATEWAY=n.n.n.n". But my
understanding is that since it's a LAN, there is no gateway. But it does
need a route, so that it knows that packets for the LAN go to eth0.

I'll double-check the IP address for eth0.

> I have a RH 9 system I can look at but I don't know how much it will
> help.

Well, it's more likely you'd recognize the relevant parts than I. The last
time I could truly claim the title of network administrator, the network
consisted of VAXes and PDPs.

I need to find a NAG for FC. Hmmm, that should, in theory, look just like
the NAG for RH, which I think I actually have on disk someplace.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/