[CLUE-Tech] Getting There With FC2

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Nov 10 16:58:38 MST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:15:29 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> The 169.254 network is similar to RFC 1918 networks--unrouted private
> addresses.  They're called APIPA addresses, automatic private ip
> addressing.  If a machine can't get an IP (from its static config or
> DHCP), it can give itself one of these at random after pinging it to see
> that no one else on the network uses it.

Well, FC3 (yeah, I went ahead with that, since Doug was nice enough to
burn CDs for me) assigns it, even though there is an assigned 192.168
address. And, the 192.168 route works fine, even with that other one
sitting in the routing table. It's annoying. I guess it's there "just in
case" the device gets an address on that network.

One thing I did with FC3 this morning was I noticed a button for a network
device config dialog which either wasn't there with FC2, or I didn't
notice it. So configuring eth0 during install gets the desired result. And
... the files I moved into /etc/... to fix it in FC2 arent there. So, it's
faerie magic, AFAICT, that's setting my routing table now. Grrr.

The big sticking point now is that even kppp doesn't work for dialup -- it
was in FC2.

Oh, BTW, in case anyone is wondering, FC3, just like RH, tosses all manner
of garbage into the install, and fires up lots of services, without so
much as asking if you ever intend on having, or example, NFS mounts. Sigh.
Took me more time to clean out stuff I don't use, and install stuff I
want, than it took to do the whole install. And I'm still missing Fvwm and
rxvt, cuz Fedora doesn't include them in the install disks. At least on
that account, SuSE wins.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/