[CLUE-Tech] upgrading rpm

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Nov 17 09:54:29 MST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:56:49 -0800 (PST)
Carl Schelin wrote:

> urpmi --auto-select
>
> Which succeeded and ran the massive rpm command
> (scrolled past the screen so don't have the entire
> thing). It thought for a couple of seconds and burped:
>
> perl-URPM >= 0.94
>
> From there, I downloaded the 0.94 package and
> subsequently the dependencies as required. Where I got
> stuck was:
>
> rpm --upgrade --force popt[whatever]

Specifics here. 'popt[whatever]' doesn't provide much info. IOW, copy the
command line from your terminal window and paste it into the e-mail.

> failed because rpm 4.0.x needed the installed version.
> Hence the e-mail.

Also copy/paste the messages resulting from the command. This will save us
from having to wonder, "rpm 4.0.x (what's the 'x') needed the installed
versions of what?"

> Anyway, I did find the --nodeps flag but wasn't
> entirely comfortable with it.
>
> Running nodeps on perl-base will affect the rest of
> the perl installation how?

That I don't know, because I don't know what's in perl-base. You might
want to run 'rpm -qpi' and 'rpm -qpl' on the file {name of the perl-base
rpm file} to see what's in it.

Also, since I'm not a perl expert, I probably don't know the answer in
this case.

What's needed here is to get to the bottom of your dependency problem, and
work up from there. It appears that what you're trying to to is upgrade
the rpm package, which upgrade is prevented because of a dependency you're
having trouble resolving. Or is it that you already know the the new rpm
package needs a newer perl-RPM package, and it's the perl-RPM package that
won't install?

One thing at a time. Is Perl at the bottom of the tree of dependencies
you're trying to resolve?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/