[CLUE-Tech] Ricochet Help..

Lewis Hopfe lmhopfe at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 12:24:26 MST 2004

Mike,

Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back on this. I upgraded to Fedora
III which opened another can of worms regarding(I knew I should have
waited!) the i810 video driver needed for a desktop machine. With
that resolved...

You're quite right regarding the acm module. It's there and shows in
the logs when I plug the modem into the USB port. However, under 2.6
that's it. The problem I've run into researching this is that much of
what's on the net is from the days when Ricochet was in it's heyday.
It seems some of this info would apply, but I've struck out. I'm sure
you've experienced the same frustration.

Anyway, I want to keep investigating this as I would prefer to use
the external modem via USB. For the time being I picked up a Ricochet
PC card on ebay for next to nothing. This suits my laptop fine and it
was cake to setup.

Take Care,

Lewis

Lewis,
I am a fairly new Ricochet user, but a long time Linux user. I think
that the
problem has something to do with the 2.6 kernel, but I don't know
what yet. I
have Debian loaded on my home system and the modem works fine as long
as I load
a 2.4 series kernel, but as soon as I try a 2.6 kernel I see nothing.
The module that you need is called acm and if I remember correct it
is included
in the 2.6 kernel, but for some reason it just doesn't work. If
anybody else has
gotten this to work please let us know, but for now see if you can
load a 2.4
kernel.

Mike Robbert