[CLUE-Tech] RH flavor recommendation

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Nov 27 09:52:17 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 22:24 -0900, Adam bultman wrote:
> qqq1one @yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >Anyone have a recommendations on which flavor of RH is best for home
> >use these days?

...snip...

> The company I work for went the Fedora route; friends of mine who work
> at another company went the Red Hat Enterprise route (and got volume
> discounts, of course). For a workstation, I'd save the money and go with
> Fedora. It's kinda heavy, but FC2 and FC3 ran fine enough on my dual 400
> Mhz box with ~580 MB of RAM.

Our lab and some affiliated labs (altogether, a few dozen students,
researchers, & profs and literally hundreds of machines) mostly use
Fedora Core 1 and 2.  We run it on laptops, desktops, and the compute
nodes of our newer clusters.  It has its glitches, but overall it works
well (is mighty convenient) for a lot of seemingly random hardware.

And we're getting familiar with FC3.  After the Fedora Extras for FC3
repository goes on-line we'll probably start moving machines to it.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307