[CLUE-Tech] Linux IDE suggestions

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Oct 4 09:16:56 MDT 2004

Dale K. Hawkins wrote:
> OK.  So I have this "friend" who is coming from developing under DOS.  I
> am trying to recommend a comfortable IDE for working with C/C++.  I
> personally do not have experience with most of the IDEs currently out
> there.  So, I was wondering if there was anyone else on the list whom
> may have gone through a similar experience, i.e., the DOS Borland/Watcom
> to Linux transition?

Sorry this isn't directly related but you might have your friend read
"The Art of UNIX Programming" by ESR.

To some degree I had the sense that much of the *nix way (for example
the passwd file format) is cruft that's too deeply entrenched to fix but
Raymond suggests that it is actually good design that has stood the test
of time.  Since your friend is likely to have some growing pains making
the transition, perhaps the book will help him avoid the "it's different
so it sucks" mindset that I always have to fight.

You might also suggest:

http://www.paulgraham.com/gh.html

especially the part about hackers liking good tools.  That might lead
him to wonder why vi and emacs are as popular as IDEs and encourage him
to consider what kinds of tools he really wants.

HTH,