[CLUE-Tech] X Won't Use my TrueType Fonts

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Oct 5 18:54:44 MDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:23:41 -0600
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 4:41 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > After a few years of having no trouble with TrueType fonts, I discover
> > today that X is no longer serving them up.
>
> I'm assuming that you have a font server as this is RH8.  Is it running?
>
> On my RH9, the process is 'xfs' and it's config file is in /etc/X11/fs/

Nope. Never needed it before either.

That'd be the thing referenced in the XF86Config line:
  #    FontPath    "unix/:7100"

Which I've always had commented out.

My understanding of the X server is that you could have it take of fonts
itself, or use xfs. Seems I read someplace where if you don't have other
client machines running X apps on your box, with the display pointed of
someplace else, you don't need xfs to supply fonts.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/