[CLUE-Tech] Looking for GUI download manager

George Gammel ggammel1 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 22:19:47 MDT 2004

Hello all,

I have a Windows program I use called GetRight.  It lets me put in a text file a list of URL's to download and the filename to save each to.  I can also set a schedule to do a daily download of this this.  I'm using this for downloading web based pages containing daily commodities market prices.  I'm trying to find something in Linux to do this same function.

I tried Prozilla GUI, but found several problems.  I can't put a whole list of URL's in at once.  They all get mushed together and hence gives a web site address error message.  If I put them in one at a time, it will work on some.  But some give a result file of 0 bytes, and some URL's give and endless series of retries, until I cancel the download.

Then, I tried to install Download for X.  I got an error after running ./configure indicating it could not find GLIB 2.4.0 or later.  There was a web address to download it.  So, I downloaded and installed a package called pkgconfig-0.15.0
I am now getting an error from Download for X ./configure command which says it could not run GLIB test program.  It continues to say that this usually means GLIB in not installed correctly.

At this point I am totally lost and don't have a clue how to get this working.  And, I don't even know if Download for X will even do what I need to do anyway.  I am getting very frustrated with being unable to do just about anything with Linux!  As painfull a statement as this is, I think I would be better off sticking with using Windows and forget all about Linux.

If anyone has any usefull ideas, please reply back. Thanks

George Gammel
ggammel1 at yahoo.com