[CLUE-Tech] login process

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 00:48:04 MDT 2004

Mike,

   You might try running pwconv just to sync the
passwd and shadow files.

   Short of that, I might suspect a possible break-in.
Any outbound traffic on this box that's not right?
Maybe someone with a RH9 distro can give you a byte
count/md5 for login.

   My /etc/passwd is 644 and /etc/shadow is 400,
/bin/login is 755 (Mandrake 9.1).

   What happened when you renamed your
directory/created a new user? Is it limited to your
user account? Can you successfully

# su - [username]

? How about /etc/nologin? Does it exist? Shell not in
/etc/shells? Anything in syslog? Check
/etc/pam.d/passwd or /etc/pam.d/sshd and ensure the
libraries exist and are pathed correctly (kinda poking
at the login, passwd and shadow man files for ideas).

Carl