[CLUE-Tech] Best processor for the buck

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Sun Oct 17 08:09:04 MDT 2004

We need a computer to handle some pretty hairy calculations.  We have
run some tests and estimates and believe our current 1 GHz box will take
nearly a week to finish the calculations.  And then we will want to make
some modifications and re-run the calculations.  So, I need a speed
daemon; a computer capable opening a can of whup-ass on some ugly math
problems.

So I narrowed my decision to either a the P4 HT series or maybe a dual
Opteron system.

I plan to run Debian (64-bit for the Opterons).

We have a computer guy with some suggestions, but his opinion of the
64bit systems is based on dealings with microsoft, vs. a natively
compiled OS.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any feedback.

-Dale