[CLUE-Tech] RAID 1 on Linux

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 09:28:51 MDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:19:00 -0600, Keith Hellman
<khellman at mcprogramming.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:46:34PM -0700, Carl Schelin wrote:
>
> > The new installation required that /boot be a regular
> > slice rather than a raid partition. I believe that's
> > because it's not compiled in to the kernel but a
> > module. A regular partition will let it boot and load
> > the module which then lets it read and mount the
> > /dev/md partitions.
>
> Could it be that your bootloader (grub, lilo, ...) can't read /boot when
> it is a raid block device?
>
> I'm not sure how much the kernel actually reads from /boot.  I'm pretty
> sure I've set up systems that don't even *mount* /boot, but the kernel
> (and the system) come up just fine.
>
> Come to think of it, the same works AOK when you boot a box off of a
> tftp'd kernel.  The more I think about it the more I think just the
> bootloader uses /boot.

Depends on your bootloader, IIRC.  GRUB uses the notation (hd0,0) to
indicate where your /boot partition is, and I believe LILO uses
something else.  I believe this is why some people are fervently in
favor of one or the other of hte boot loaders.

Greg