[CLUE-Tech] RAID 1 on Linux

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 20:00:34 MDT 2004

--- Chris Dos <chris at chrisdos.com> wrote:

> Carl Schelin wrote:
> > Does anyone have a pointer to a document that
> debunks
> > this? Can I in fact, add a second disk and make
> the
> > system RAID 1 or do I have to back it off and
> > reinstall?
> >

> I had a document for doing this for a while.  I've
> been running linux
> software raid1 and raid5 for a long time with
> excellent results.  Here
> was a snippit of the document that I've been using:

This looks very familiar, especially the copying
command which was what I did when I apparently blew up
hdc. Perhaps I read it on-line somewhere.

> Now some notes.  Use the "failed disk" in the
> raidtab when making the
> array so you can make just the first half of the
> raid1 array.  The "find
> . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt/newroot" command will move
> everything from one
> partition/slice to another.  I always make an
> individual 50MB boot
> partition.

The problem with raidtools and raidtab was that it
didn't support persistant superblocks so I couldn't
boot directly from /md0, I had to have a non-raided
/boot. That was why I checked out and was using mdadm.

> BTW, LILO freaks out if it sees SATA drives (At
> least with Debian
> Sarge).  So if you have SATA, you must use GRUB.

Umm, Ultra ATA/100 as marked on the box. Seems to be
working ok (not SATA as near as I can tell).

> 	Chris

Thanks,

Carl