[CLUE-Tech] RAID 1 on Linux

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 21:08:47 MDT 2004

--- Chris Dos <chris at chrisdos.com> wrote:

> Carl Schelin wrote:
> > The problem with raidtools and raidtab was that it
> > didn't support persistant superblocks so I
> couldn't
> > boot directly from /md0, I had to have a
> non-raided
> > /boot. That was why I checked out and was using
> mdadm.
> >

> raidtap supports persistant superblocks.

When I added it in to my raidtab it kicked back an
error indicating it wasn't a supported option. I
believe a note I read said that I had to use
raidtools2 to use persistant superblocks which was
only available as an [rpm|apt-get|whatever] in Debian,
which I believe you mentioned in the first message;
SATA not working with Debian Sarge as I recall.

Yea, under the Software RAID HOWTO:

<i>5.2 Downloading and installing the RAID tools

The RAID tools are included in almost every major
Linux distribution.

IMPORTANT: If using Debian Woody (3.0) or later, you
can install the package by running

apt-get install raidtools2

This raidtools2 is a modern version of the old
raidtools package, <b>which doesn't support the
persistent-superblock</b> and parity-algorithm
settings.</i>

> Lilo
> must be installed in a partitions boot record and
> not the mbr.

Now that's news. That wasn't mentioned anywhere that I
can recall. And I did install lilo into the mbr on
/dev/hdc. Perhaps that's what fscked up hdc?

> After that, the "find > . -xdev | cpio -pm
> /mnt/newroot" works great to
> move everything over to the new partition.  And of
> course, do that in
> single user mode.

I booted the Mandrake CD in to rescue mode and worked
from there.

> 	Chris

Carl