[CLUE-Tech] Kernel and sound problems

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 03:51:47 MDT 2004

I think this is distro independent ...

Although the current system I am fussing with is
running Fedora 2. I have found that my sound doesen't
work with the Fedora Core 2 release (kernel 2.6.X). It
did work out of the box with Core 1 (kernel 2.4.X) .
It has been a while since I have built kernels ... (
pretty much stopped after modules were working ...
used to compile the new ones off hydra as they came
out for several years :)

Things have changed :)

I downloaded (the latest at the time) 2.6.8.1 off
kernel.org and tried to build. Cutting to the chase
the module for my soundcard gives me unrecognized
symbol errors when I try to insmod it. It is wierd
that the card is detected at all if the driver doesn't
work ?

The gnome tools indicate that I have a C-Media
Electronics Inc, model : CM8738 "card" that should use
the snd-cmipci module ... It is built on the
motherboard ...

I guess the bigger question is can I revert back to a
2.4 kernel where the soundcard worked ? The "upgrade"
pretty much eliminated all of my 2.4 stuff.

-Mike