[CLUE-Tech] Fedora CD Audio Issues

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 06:43:53 MDT 2004

I am curios ...

Did you install Fedora Core 2 fresh or as an upgrade ?

I have the same sound card, mine is built in on an
ASUS board. I did a series of upgrades starting fresh
at RH8, upgraded to RH9, upgraded to Fedora Core 1 and
all "worked" fine.

I then chose the upgrade option when moving to Fedora
Core 2 and all became broken... I am thinking it has
to do with munging of module config files during the
upgrade to Fedora Core 2.

Even so, I tried to insmod the snd-cmipci module
manually and got unrecognized symbol errors. That
module must have some dependencies ???

Anyway, I finally got my sound working by rebuilding
the kernel with the sound system directly compiled in
rather than using modules. In the end I suppose I have
a more streamlined kernel and learned a bit about what
is now offered.....

BTW a strange thing that I noticed was that both using
the kernel code tree from Fedora and from kernel.org I
was unable to configure to build the CM8738 driver
other than a module .... ????

Using "make menuconfig" allowed me to compile it
directly into the kernel ...

-Mike