[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

Eric Jorgensen jorgy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 18:43:33 MDT 2004

> At 10:15 AM 9/10/2004, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
> >Can anyone explain to me why RDNS is important?
> It's something that I've
> >never understood how it's useful to the way the
> Internet works.

Besides email, there is another important use for
reverse DNS that hasn't been discussed.  When
generating an SSL certificate for https traffic, you
need to put the name of your server into the
certificate request.  Then, when users access your
site, the reverse DNS entry is compared against this
name in the certificate (and in the URL) and if they
don't match, a warning is presented to the user.

Eric