[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Sep 11 20:26:01 MDT 2004

David L. Willson wrote:
> One other use is that many distros are configured to determine their
> hostname from Reverse DNS.  OK, this is the address I got from DHCP, so
> I must be...

For some things, like domain name, this seems to be the only way for the
box to get the info.  For boxen with static IPs that's fine as either
DNS or /etc/hosts will be right.

> Unfortunately, in all networks other than my home one, where I have a
> reservation for every box that matters, the name that comes back is
> usually from some Win2k or XP box that had the address before.

You may be able to get the *nix machine to do dynamic DNS updates which
is what the Win boxes do.  But that may be a big headache too, depending.