[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Sep 11 20:32:31 MDT 2004

Charles Oriez wrote:
[...]
> since there is really no technical justification for not having valid
> rdns on any valid server, requiring rdns to be valid on incoming servers
> is a simple method to block the many trojaned machines

I wonder.  Do you accept any rdns, or only one matching the SMTP envelope?

I recently had this problem because Qwest had trouble setting up rdns
for me.  But now I seem to have the problem still, because I host more
than one domain.  The domain that matches the rdns works but others
don't.  And sadly the checks are done after the mail is received so I
get no bounces.

This seems to be the exception and I imagine the admins aren't terribly
good at mail.