[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Sep 12 22:34:42 MDT 2004

William wrote:

> --- Nate Duehr wrote:
>
>>There is one.  Multiple domains hosted off the same server.  The RDNS
>>can only match one of them.
>>
>>Kinda a pain for the frugal folks trying to host multiple domain's
>>webservers and e-mail servers off of the same physical box, but if one
>>has an endless supply of IP addresses, you can usually work around it by
>>putting multiple IP's on the same system.
>

> I wouldn't consider this an exception.  With proper configuration of your DNS records (A, CNAME,
> and PTR records in particular), this is not an issue.  I host for many domains on a relatively
> small set of static IP addresses, and I don't have any problem doing so.

Oh I do too, I just made the comment to remind people that doing a full
RDNS lookup and expecting the machine name to 100% match isn't foolproof
or really proving anything really other than that the person at the
other end knows how to add RDNS entries.  If everyone blocks RDNS-less
spam, the spammers will just turn on RDNS.  Not a good long-term
solution, never has been, never will be.

Nate