[CLUE-Tech] Networking

Fri Sep 17 14:02:55 MDT 2004

I hate it when I skip a word.  Find the missing 'will' or 'would' in the
message below!

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us] On Behalf Of David L. Willson
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 1:53 PM
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: RE: [CLUE-Tech] Networking

George,

Try starting with some of the commmand-line Samba utilities, like smbclient.
My first test would be 'smbclient -L ' with the name of a known server on
your network.  For instance, if the Windows box sharing the files is named
'GENEVA', you would type

smbclient -L geneva

Make very sure you are not running Windows XP with SP2 on the Windows boxes,
or you are going to get nowhere fast.  If you are, write again, and we will
discuss how to disable the XP firewall, and how ~not~ to be an early-adopter
of Windows service-packs.

Let's see where you get with just this much, and let me invite you to bring
your three boxes to Linux Fun-da-mentals on Thursday, where I be happy to
help you get them interoperating.

http://mailman.thegeek.nu/linuxfun

       David L. Willson
         (720) 333-LANs