[CLUE-Tech] Re: CLUE-Tech digest, wireless use

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Sep 23 18:12:16 MDT 2004

Peter Motykowski wrote:

> Ah, the wrt54g.  I have one of these and have been looking at websites
> that offer hacked firmware with extra features.  Have you tried any of
> these?  Ideally, I would like to SSH to my wrt54g and tune firewall rules
> using ip(chains|tables).  Am I dreaming?

I use the WRT54G with the hacked firmware from sveasoft:
http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

The stable version (currently Satori-4) is GPL and free.  You only need
to subscribe ($20) if you want the pre-released versions.  Firmware
provides all of the features listed below.
-Ken

---------------------------------------
Satori-4.0 firmware for the WRT54G & GS

The release adds the following features:

Auto channel select option
AP Watchdog timer option
New Management page help (thanks to Markus Baertschi)
SSH DSS keys now supported (thanks to Rod Whitby)

Standard Feature List

Compatible with both G and GS models

Linksys "AfterBurner" drivers with DMA

Setup
Default gateway for LAN ports

Advanced Routing
OSPF, BGP Routing

Wireless
Power mode selection
Antenna selection
Client mode (Ethernet bridging)
Adhoc mode
WDS peer-to-peer networking (10 links, multiple options)

Applications & Gaming
Modified to forward to any IP address

Administration
Bandwidth Management
Boot Wait
Cron
DHCP with static MAC->IP assignments
DNS Masq
Firewall control
Loopback option
NAS
NTP Client
PPP
PPTP VPN server
Resetbutton daemon
SSHD with public key or password login
Shorewall firewall
Syslog with remote logging
Telnet
Tftp

Diagnostics
Command Shell replaces ping and traceroute
Linux shell scripts rc_startup and rc_shutdown settable from the web

Status
Wireless signal strengths for clients, AP's, WDS links

Internal Modifications
BPAlogin fixes
Static DHCP leases
Added approximately 20 iptables filters
- include P2P, connection tracking
Added Quality of Service (for bandwidth mgmt)
Rewrote networking code for better stability
Added wireless connections daemon for client mode and WDS
Upgraded PPPD to 2.4.2
Added PPTP client and server
Various bug fixes to Linksys codebase
Latest Busybox
ADM6996 /proc interface

Coming Features
Peer-to-peer bandwidth mgmt (Kazaa, Gnutella, Bit Torrent, etc)
Multi-priority bandwidth mgmt interface
Bandwidth usage statistics
Remote montioring and statistics
Captive Portal
Dynamic download interface (add new packages on boot)
Move to latest uClibc
IPSEC
---------