[CLUE-Tech] scanner recommendations

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:57:41 MDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:14:50 -0600 (MDT), Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> > I would like to scan photos into my ever-increasing digital picture archive.
> > I appreciate any suggestions on scanners, running on Linux.  This is not
> > professional art, btw so cheap and effective will suffice.
>
> I have an HP PSC2175cxi (or some such model) that works fine with the
> hpoj Linux driver.  It's USB and was cheap.  You also get a color
> printer, copier, and flash memory card reader in which the memory
> card shows up as /dev/sda.
>
> I use xsane and RHEL 3 WS.  I had to update the hpoj driver that comes
> with Red Hat EL3-WS but once I figured that out, it wasn't too hard to
> get it to work.
>
> I never used to believe in multifunction printer/scanner devices but
> the price point, quality, and driver made this one worthwhile for me.

Good to hear about the HP solution. When I last tried this about 1 1/2
years, almost all the HP devices were marked as not supported by SANE.
At that time I bought an Epson/Perfection 1660 Photo, and it worked
like a champ.

You should google for the devices supported by SANE - I can't remember
the url. There's a  table listing the status for hundreds of scanners.

Also, it makes a difference whether you're using 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.
There's a new lib???? package for scanner support rather than the old
kernel module, and I don't know whether all the SANE stuff has cought
up with the changes. Google for that as well.

HTH,

--
 /\/\
(CR) Collins Richey