[clue-tech] Great New Adobe Acrobat Version

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:37:00 MST 2005

For those of you who don't read LWN - or don't have a subscription - I
thought I'd post an addendum to this discussion.

As someone else pointed out, Acrobat Reader includes JavaScript
capabilites, which also allow documents to "phone home" that they've
been read, and from where.

I wrote a story about this for LWN with a bit more detail, but the
long and short of it is - if you value your privacy, you might want to
turn JavaScript off of Acrobat Reader when perusing PDFs or read PDFs
in an open source / free software reader rather than Adobe's. The
communication goes out over port 80, so it's not like it would
typically be blocked by a firewall -- and, of course, there's no
notification to the user that the document is sending out information
when opened.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"