[clue-tech] Great New Adobe Acrobat Version

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Apr 1 11:38:42 MST 2005

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier wrote:

> As someone else pointed out, Acrobat Reader includes JavaScript
> capabilites, which also allow documents to "phone home" that they've
> been read, and from where.
>
> I wrote a story about this for LWN with a bit more detail, but the
> long and short of it is - if you value your privacy, you might want to
> turn JavaScript off of Acrobat Reader when perusing PDFs

Great. One more useful technology tainted by corporate greed.

It would be nice if the reader provided a way to keep JavaScript but
turn off the spyware feature. Presumably you would have found and
reported that capability if it existed.

I betcha there's some way to create a "privacy guard" plugin. I'll look
into this a bit.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA