[clue-tech] ubuntu linux

J j7s12b at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 12:20:24 MDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 00:41, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> Was this with Hoary or Warty? You might want to try again now that Hoary
> has been officially released, you might not have the same trouble... I'd
> also be curious to see what kind of partitioning issues you ran into.

my problem happened under Warty. The box is old and the 40 gig drive is on a
Promise PCI - IDE expansion card. The drive was partitioned and formatted
(ext3/swap/ext3) on a Suse 9.1 box prior to use with fdisk, mkfs.ext3, and
mkswap. It mounted up and worked fine on the Suse box (swap too!)

Ubuntu didn't like it. The installer wouldn't format the partitions under the
current partition table structure and wouldn't just use the partitions
without formatting either. The error was something like "unable to resize
[SOMETHING]...Yet!". Deleting everything and repartitioning was easy enough.
Maybe a cylinder boundary problem? who knows.