[clue-tech] command line mail fetcher

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Sat Apr 23 01:05:08 MDT 2005

On 22 Apr 2005, at 10:17 PM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I am only a user on the system and cannot configure the mail server to
> accept the domain name.  In particular, I want to pop my gmail email
> over to an mbox on a UNIX server.

I see.  Did you know that you can force fetchmail to call a program for
local delivery, rather than relying on a mail server on port 25?  Thus
adding something like:

mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

(I think it is the -m option if run from the command line, the above is
for the .fetchmailrc file).

see http://susefaq.sourceforge.net/faq/fetchmail.html

That would seem to do the trick, but that is from Google, I have not
used it myself.  If you don't have procmail on the server, you could
get a copy and put it in your home directory, if that is allowed.  You
could also try to find a really simple MDA and put in your home
directory and make fetchmail use that.  It should be doable, if a bit
hackish, as long as the machine in question is Unix-based.

I don't know of any tool other than fetchmail that does what you ask,
although it seems like such a simple thing the lack seems odd.

HTH,
Tim
--
Timothy Klein: t[ango]c[harlie]k[ilo]@silverklein.net