[clue-tech] Gateway Internal/External Web Page Issue

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Apr 23 19:26:30 MDT 2005

Timothy Klein wrote:
[...]
> Yes, I can get to my web page with the local IP of Keats, which is
> mapped statically in /etc/hosts.  The trouble is I can't write links
> that way on other web pages I have (not on Keats).  They have to use the
> external IP.  So I can't follow them or check them, which is really
> annoying.  It is enough of a nuisance that my wife only looks at our web
> page from work.

Welcome to the Internet.  That's what domain names are for.  Your links
should be by name (when they can't be relative) so you can resolve them
differently where necessary.

If it's important to have cross server links, I'd set up DNS (or hosts,
or something that fits your situation).  Using Zoneedit makes DNS
trivial (well, you still can't put CNAMEs in MXs but maybe it even warns
you about that).

'Course there are those that would tell you that end-to-end is an
important design principle so your problem is merely the price you pay
for using NAT.

HTH,