[clue-tech] RH 7.3 on PowerEdge 6450

Jack Parker jack.parker4 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 25 04:40:58 MDT 2005

From: "Chris Tubutis" <ctubutis at yahoo.com>

I've subscribed, no cc required.  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to
contribute some day.  Especially if I get this figured out.

> > <Mike>
> >> As I recall you have to insert the module at boot time
> >
> > You mean, stick the drives in at some point in the boot cycle?  That
> > would be weird.
>
> I think what he's referring to occurs EARLY in the RH install sequence.
> One of the first things it does is detect all devices it can; it tells
> you what it found and gives you the opportunity to add additional device
> drivers (typically located on a floppy you made beforehand). Has nothing
> to do with the physical drives themselves.

Ah, yes, tried this.

> > Are these issues that would go way with a more current release of dead
> > rat? It might be worth biting the database engine bullet if that
> > solved the OS problems.
>
> Possibly; I'd even venture to say "probably."

Worth a shot.

> But I guess you've already found that stuff, your problem is that the
> drives aren't being found? Hmmm...

Yup.

> > Dell has a 7.3 install manual which indicates that I need to load an
> > rpm (megaraid_blah_blah).  I've never tried that during the boot
> > cycle.  I'm guessing that I'd go into comand line install and apply
> > it?
>
> I have no idea. RTFM. :)

;-)

> Yeah. But this can be a lot of fun if your mind is the type that's
> intrigued by stuff like this. And when you're done, you'll know more
> about this machine than you ever cared to know. ;)

True, but then there are so many machines, operating systems, packages, etc
that I know so little about at this point.  So much for a job or a life.

> Regardless, it sounds like you have a cool toy to
> play with, I wish I had it....
>
> ct

You can find them on ebay at this point, still a litle pricey, wait 2 years.
Better yet, find a startup, they cycle equipment pretty quick.

Thanks all, you've given me some ideas and more importantly encouragement.

j.