[clue-tech] Google Maps

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Apr 30 16:51:56 MDT 2005

Nate Duehr wrote:
> David A. Jenne wrote:
>
>>>Maybe this is not quite an appropriate posting, but check out
>>>maps.google.com.  Type in an address and then click on
>>>Satellite in the upper right.  You can see houses in the
>>>satellite view if you zoom in.
>>

>>Free--so not completely off topic (although I wonder what Google wants to do
>>with the address you type in).  This could be great for finding bike routes!
>>
>>Go to http://pixxures.com (an Arvada company), click on Image Store and then
>>enter an address--same source images as Google, but with a closer zoom
>>capability.  I can see some of the windows in my house (but, fortunately,
>>not through them).
>>
>>David J
>

> Does it work on Firefox under Linux, or is that spiffy page only happy
> with MSIE or something?
>
> So far all I get is a blank pop-up that says "Best Matches for Address"
> after entering a few test addresses on the Gentoo laptop here.
>
> Looks like they need to hire some clueful webmonkeys.

Well, I spoke too soon.  Going more "generic" I just put in "Denver" and
got a list of places.  So far I'm navigating from one of those "well
known" places down to my street, since it can't seem to find my address
(which has been here since 1968).

Ah well, can't complain about free stuff, really.

Nate