[clue-tech] ext3 missing disk space?

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Wed Aug 10 10:51:03 MDT 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 9:33 AM, marcus hall wrote:

> Well, depending on how you rebooted, it *might* not have.. (see below)
>
> How do you know that the directory contained 118 Gb of data?

I've been struggling along with a 130 gig partition for months, every
day trying to 'vacuum' the database to recover any bloat.  'du'
showed the directory as taking 118 Gigs and I'm sure that it was very
densely packed.  The database dir was the only thing taking up space
on the disk other than the OS which was not growing.

> Obviously, with the file gone, it's very hard to tell if this was the
> case.  It's also difficult to tell if this is the case even with the
> file present, because the kernel doesn't readily expose this sort of
> information about a file.
>
> If you rebooted the box and ran fsck (or if you can unmount the
> filesystem
> and fsck it), and fsck reports that all is clean (or mostly clean
> at least),
> yet df continues to report little gain for removing such a huge
> file, I
> would guess that the file really was sparse and removing it didn't
> free
> up all that many blocks after all.

Unfortunately, the dbdata was on the root partition, so I can't
unmount it ( hindsight is 20/20! ).  Next chance I get to boot from
CD, I will run fsck on it and see what happens.

Thanks for your response.

-Dan