[clue-tech] ide advice

dhahn dhahn at dhahn.com
Tue Aug 30 07:15:42 MDT 2005

The decision has more to do with which devices will be talking to each
other the most.  The IDE chain only allows one device to "talk" at a
time.  So, if you have a HD and a CD on the as master and slave on the
same chain, their slowest communication will be with each other.  So,
put the devices that will be "talking" together the most on separate chains.

By design, it is not supposed to matter which is master and which is
slave.  However, de jure rule usually puts the HD as the master and the
CD as the slave.

In some cases, certain HD/CD combinations will act oddly.  So, unless
you know your hardware rather well, plan to experiment for a bit.

-d