[clue-tech] SATA DVD drive

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Dec 13 08:32:18 MST 2005

Hi,

> I installed a SATA DVD drive recently.  I can see /dev/sdb in /dev, but
> Linux cannot see the CDROM.  My hard drive is also a SATA drive and Linux
> sees everything on the drive.

So your SATA stuff appears as SCSI to the kernel?

Could you post the output from your kernel's SCSI probe?  Like this,
from my system:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SONY     Model: SDT-9000         Rev: 0400
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: UMAX     Model: Astra 1200S      Rev: V2.9
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SONY     Model: CD-RW  CRX145S   Rev: 1.0b
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 04

> I'm thinking that the drive might be defective, but does anyone know of
> some kernel module that I might be missing?

For SCSI CD-ROM drives to work you need these modules loaded:

sr_mod                 16952   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  31104   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
scsi_mod              103464   5  [sym53c8xx_2 sg sr_mod st sd_mod]

Obviously my SCSI controller is a 53c815 PCI card, not a SATA
adapter, but in any case you should post a list of all modules
loaded on your system (lsmod).  Then we can see what's missingm
if anything.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/