[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Dec 14 22:34:19 MST 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Jeff Cann wrote:
>
>> After last night's DTC presentation, I think it would be fun to setup
>> a jabber service on the CLUE server.  Would CLUBies want to use it?
>

> Nope, not at all.
>
> Let's see... so it looks like an IM server.  And I guess that's
> different than IRC.  I tried IRC once and it didn't seem terribly
> useful.  I don't see that IM would be any better.
>
> Now I know that I'm the Luddite in the group, and getting old fast.
> So can anyone give me a specific, detailed example of how IM (or IRC)
> make your lives better?  Or is it just a "my friends use it so that's
> the easy way to reach them" thing (s/friends/co-workers/).

It has definitely kept me in touch with friends that I would have not
kept in touch with any other way--at least not as frequently.  Email can
be much more impersonal because it's not "real time" or even if it is,
it doesn't feel like it.  Plus, when you're online and you see a friend
online, you can just say "hi."  You probably wouldn't write an email
just to say hi.